8.07.2008

Who'll Stop the Rain?

So...it's been about 24 hours since we officially booked our wedding trip to Mexico. Today was a day of reflection, and anxiety, and excitement...did we pick the right place? Was Mexico a good choice at all? Will our guests think we are crazy for thinking they can come to this destination wedding in the middle of hurricane season!? That one really got me thinking. Particularly because I made the mistake of watching television tonight...something I do about once a week. I record all the goofy wedding shows (Whose Wedding is it Anyway?, Married Away, Rock the Reception, Say Yes to the Dress) so once a week I sit down with a bowl of popcorn and indulge in a show or two, no commercials attached thanks to our DVR. But - tonight I just happened to pick a show that was reviewing a wedding on Little Palm Island in the Florida Keys, and they were getting married in AUGUST, and a hurricane nearly forced them to cancel their nuptials. NEARLY. But it was enough to make me have a minor panic attack about our choice of month and locale.

Really, we chose August not because we enjoy the heat or needed a summer wedding, but because both of our mothers work in the school system, and August would be a reasonable month for them to get away (plus a few members of our bridal party too!!). And, being hurricane season, rates at a 5-star all-inclusive resort are lower than if we were going in say, February. *sigh* Still, at the end of the day, I feel good about our choice. I think it is going to be an amazingly fun time, and no matter what happens, as long as Christopher and I are married on August 8 (hurricane or no hurricane), we'll have accomplished our goal. (We would just rather have NO hurricane...I'm putting that order into the gods, and doing a rain dance, and I might check in with Buddha and Jesus too, just to be sure I have covered the bases...)

Oh...and I found out the opening of Secrets Maroma Beach has been pushed back yet again to August 8, 2008. Wonder how many brides planned their 08-08-08 wedding there??? Honestly, after all of the reading I have done, it seems pointless to book at any Mexico resort within 1 month or so of it's scheduled opening...just never seems to go as planned. But - one perk for those who did book there - I have heard that people are being given free 7-night stays at the resort next year if they are unable to stay there this week. We should have signed up for that!!

Maybe the new opening date will work out, and be a good sign that by NEXT August 8, the resort will be open and functional. Maybe. Crossing fingers (and toes).

0 comments:

Post a Comment