8.12.2008

Things People Wouldn't Do in Cancun

I am completely fascinated with online forums. One that I watch with particular fervor is TripAdvisor.com, which is a travel site at first glance, but if you click that little tab on the homepage called "Forums"...you are transferred to another universe, one that allows people to bash, trash, like, and love their travel experiences. It's a phenomenon you must experience to appreciate. I cannot get over how much of people's lives are 'lived' via the world wide web, and how this has changed just over the past 3-5 years. I remember thinking it was a huge deal to have an email address when I started college in 1996. I remember how 'telnet' was so amazing, and you could even CHAT with people on there if you knew the right words to type (and you had hacker dork friends like me). Now - you can literally learn more than you ever wanted to know from complete strangers. It boggles me, but in the same breath, I can honestly say that I appreciate it a ton when it comes to planning a destination wedding for us, our families, and our friends, some of whom have never visited Mexico. Most of my life is consumed in learning, through one method or another, and it just so happens that forums feed that need in a very simply packaged manner.

So I checked out the Riviera Maya region forum tonight, just to see if anyone has actually stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach yet, and if so, did they have anything nice (or mean) to say about it? Well, I did not find too much on that particular topic, but I DID find this very interesting post about what people do NOT recommend doing in and around Cancun. Here is a sampling of information:

  • I would tell others to avoid Market 28. I did not feel safe there and I was pestered by merchants trying to barter deals with me on trivial merchandise - including marijuana.
  • So, we tried the Crab House, the food was OK, IMHO, but the bill, was astronomical. 4 adults, 2 steak dinners, 2 small lobster tails, came out to over $400.00 USD. Which I think is a little bit over priced, since we always go to Lorenzillo's for much better food and price. Also, we were very tired from the night before, so there was no liquor at our table, only water.
  • Do not over plan your stay!!! Things change, you can always make plans for a trip at the resort. Dpending on the weather, how you feel, how things are going. I see people planning five trips on a seven night stay! So when do you relax?
  • Never would buy a taco out of the trunk of a car. You will see a lot of this downtown, can`t imagine how unsafe this would be to a tourists tummy.
  • I would not be rude to employees as I have seen others do...it gets them no where and probably are worse off in the end....remember RESPECT.
  • I liked Xel-Ha and Tulum, but would not couple them as one tour again. Way too much to do in one day and you feel very rushed. Would not use the airport transfers included in your travel package. It took us about 2 hours to get to the resort. Now I always spring for the private transfers....30 min. tops.
  • Would never again drink one tequila shot after another just to get up the nerve to sing Karaoke!
  • I would never lay out without sunscreen.
  • I would never go shopping at Walmart in Playa del Carmen at night if you don't know Spanish.

Hey, these people apparently know what they are talking about...after all, they spend a good bit of time on these forums every day. Who wouldn't believe them??

0 comments:

Post a Comment