6.09.2009

The Anti-Bride Phenomenon


Here we are, just 58 days from our wedding day. And, here I am, a bride just 2 months away from her wedding day. You know what that means - all social situations involve some kind of questioning about the wedding. "So, are you ready?" "Are you excited?" "Do you have everything done?" Due either to the fact that I'm a little wedding-crazy to begin with, or to the fact that we chose a wedding with as few drama-causing elements as possible, I don't at all mind that everyone and their grandmothers ask me the exact same questions. Over. And. Over. Honest.

I have, however, started to feel like I'm "giving up" on certain details of the wedding. I have really tried to maintain a reasonable perspective on the whole event. It's just one day; yet, it's an important enough day that 32 people (woo!) are traveling to another country to witness it. I don't know about anyone else, but, to me, that makes it more than 'just a day.' Keeping the spirit of 'more than a day' is difficult when the day is happening a few thousand miles away.

So - maybe I'm not giving up on details, per se, but instead, becoming more 'normal' and reasonable in my approach to these things. I have, for the better part of the past 18 months of our engagement, allowed myself to get lost in the details. And when one is planning a destination wedding (read: more simple than at-home-wedding), there are fewer details to obsess over, which means more time to obsess over fewer details. Hmm. I'm fairly certain that I spent hundreds of hours on things like choosing the invitations, the favors, the bridesmaid dresses, the wedding dresses, the wedding resort...but, yet I have failed to make any decisions about reception decor. Well, technically I did make a few decisions, but I haven't fully committed to them yet (i.e., nothing has been purchased yet). Am I excited to make these purchases? Not really. Do I still have to do it? Yeah. This is just one example of the anti-bride phenomenon I am experiencing.

How about those out there who are married? Did you become the anti-bride as the wedding got closer? Or get sick of the details and just want it to get here already?

4 comments:

Carmen said...

LOL I know exactly how you are feeling. Trust me, really at this point, all your big things are done and out of the way...the other stuff really is the small stuff and not worth sweating over. I mean, there’s still the excited of the day approaching, but you do have that I’m “wedding-ed out” feeling too. I remember the last 2 months before the wedding that I just didn’t want to do anything wedding related. How many times do I need to look at things in my wedding color or recount the number favors, or follow-up with RSVPs. I was over it…I packed everything and just didn’t look at it again until the night before our flight. However, once I got there I went through the ups and downs.. I was frantic when I got there about stuff, but once I got to hang out with my guests I mellowed out. I panicked the night before (Thank goodness for Bryan’s patience ), but the day of I was mellow as can be  It’s going to be fabulous. Relax, it’s going to be awesome!

Unknown said...

Ha! Although it's been 2-1/2 years since our wedding, I have to admit it all starts coming back when I read your blog! I think the way to get around the "it's just 1 day" thing is to think - what is it that's most important about this day? That helped me focus, spend money on what was really key (for me - photographer because I have a terrible memory) and not spend money on other things, like a DJ (I know! But we sent our guests out on a pub crawl instead). Sounds like you're doing great - Tony and I wish we could be there. Take care - Amy

Minnesota Mom said...

I think you have "burnt out." Please relax--everything will go fine.
Let me know what I can do!
Love ya!

Shari said...

One of my friends put things in perspective for me as we got closer to the wedding -- she said, "You know, all you REALLY need is Matt and your pastor, right? Everything beyond that is just a huge, wonderful bonus." So from that point on, I really did just enjoy everything, and by the time our wedding "week" rolled around, I really did just enjoy everything and everyone and I don't remember stressing at all. (Maybe my mom did, though? She claims she didn't, but who knows!) You're going to have a WONDERFUL wedding -- I so wish I could be there!

Post a Comment