5.13.2010

So...you think you want to change your name.

Well, I agreed with the husband long ago that I would indeed change my name.  My previous college-aged women-libber self would not have gone along so easily (I dragged her kicking and screaming) but it was pretty important to my husband, and the more I thought about it, it would make life a little easier, especially when/if children join our family.  So, I thought, cool, I'm going to change my name.  A few months after the wedding I stopped by the Social Security office, ready to change my name.  Either I was completely dazed or they messed up - but I came out with the name (first) Mindy (middle) Joy (last) Dahl Chai.  I then ventured to the dreaded DMV, where I again received an identification card with (first) Mindy (middle) Joy (last) Dahl Chai written on it.  I didn't really recognize any issues, that is until my husband opened the letter containing my license from the mail and exclaimed 'Dahl Chai? I thought your middle name was going to be Joy Dahl!'.  Wow.  I honestly - truly - had not even recognized this until he said that.  I felt like a complete idiot.  Am I that mentally busy (is my cognitive load really that high) that I didn't see this? 


Then, topping it off, we visited Sports Authority to get me an annual fishing license.  Using my driver's license, the dude behind the counter only entered my 'first' last name - Dahl.  The husband gave me that look 'see, I told you people would get confused' - when all along, I agreed with him and never wanted 2 last names.  Wow, what a ride.

Today, I re-visited the SSN office, and the DMV, all in about 40 minutes.  Thank goodness for small towns on a Thursday mid-morning.  And the biggest issue?  They made me re-take my license picture, which had finally been a good one.  Meh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment