3.17.2009

Thoughts on Veils

One element of the wedding attire I never thought I would think too much about: the veil. I figured all veils were created somewhat equally, and that there would not be too much pain or consideration in the process of finding a veil that would 'go' with my gown.

Obviously....I was so very, very wrong.

So after some botched attempts at veils - I ordered one off Ebay at the same time I bought my dress, and while it is gorgeous and beautiful and wonderous, I'm afraid it just isn't quite what I had in mind (after seeing it on with my dress). Who knew I had something in mind at all?

I traversed through cyberspace to find out how other brides have chosen their veils. Most of them have indicated that they always knew they wanted a 2-tier illusion tulle veil in the color of their dress (2 tiers so they could wear one of them as a blusher, aka, the part that hangs over the bride's face), or that they always knew they didn't want a veil at all. I read about destination brides in particular, and those getting married on the somewhat-windy beaches of Mexico had this to say: find a veil with some weight on the ends, and get one that is at least waist-length, so it isn't always blowing in and around your face, so as to prevent seeing yourself fighting with it in every single photo or video clip. A-ha, good advice! So, I began the hunt for a veil that meets these specifications.

I found one right away and thought, I better just order the darn thing. Then I realized the veil itself cost just under $200. ARE YOU KIDDING?! For a piece of tulle, that crap they put in icky prom dresses, and on prom tables and chairs, and around wedding arches? It was then that I decided to search a bit differently - I typed in "45'' bridal veil ivory" and wouldn't you know, the wonderful handmade-seller site Etsy.com came up in the first page. Someone out there was making bridal veils at a fraction of the cost of the one that I liked, and still had the style that I just loved. Stay tuned for more on whether I bought the veil or not...and how it looks with the dress!

*Photo courtesy of ETSY seller bellabridalveils

0 comments:

Post a Comment